Last week I dyed Rosalie lots of rice so that we could have some sensory play time together.
I followed a ‘recipe’ from Happy Hooligans.
What do you need?
- 1 cup of cheap white rice per colour
- 1/2 teaspoon of white vinegar per 1 cup of rice
- A few drops of food colouring
- A plastic tub with a lid
- A baking tray to dry the rice on
How do you dye the rice?
- Measure one cup of rice into your plastic tub.
- Add half a teaspoon of vinegar and a few drops of your chosen food colouring.
- Put the lid on your tub and shake it… shake it…. shake it…
- Shake until all the rice is coloured.
- Dump the rice out onto your baking tray.
Repeat steps 1-5 with each colour, then leave your rice to dry on the baking tray for a day.
We used our coloured rice to make a sensory shaker as Rosalie is still in the ‘everything goes in the mouth’ stage, but I have grand plans for the rest of it, which is currently stored in a large air-tight plastic tub.