Lemon drizzle is my favourite kind of cake; I have an amazing loaf cake recipe which uses lemon curd and is the perfect blend of gooey lemon and stodgy cake. This traybake is equally as delicious but the cake is much lighter and the lemon drizzle leaves a crunchy top thanks to the granulated sugar used.
I cut mine into 24 reasonable sized squares, perfect for lunchboxes and picnics! When I don’t have time to make lemon curd for my favourite recipe, this will be my new quick and easy go-to lemon drizzle cake recipe.
225g softened butter
225g caster sugar
275g self raising flour
2 tsps baking powder
zest of 2 lemons
4 large eggs
4 tbsps milk
175g granulated sugar
juice of 2 lemons
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160c (140c fan). Grease and base line a traybake tin.
2. Measure all the cake ingredients into a large bowl and beat well.
3. Spoon the cake batter into the prepared tin and level the surface.
4. Bake for 40 minutes, until the cake springs back when lightly touched.
5. Make the drizzle by combining the lemon juice and sugar to form a syrup.
6. Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes before turning out.
7. Spoon the drizzle evenly over the cake once it has cooled slightly.
8. Once cooled completely, slice the traybake into 24 squares.