Motherhood,My family

Toddler curiosity and embracing simple things

toddler in the woods

One of the best things about having a toddler is the way they make you slow down, stop even, and take notice of so many tiny things that you would otherwise overlook, walk past, or maybe sometimes consider an inconvenience.

Rosalie’s curiosity is insatiable, we have to stop and smell every flower, touch every leaf, pick up sticks and stones wherever we go. She notices every bug on the ground and every aeroplane or helicopter in  the sky.

A few weeks ago we took a stroll through some local woodland; it was a beautiful day, sunny but still a little nippy at first but warming up towards the middle of the day. There’s a lovely stream running along the bottom of the woods which provided plenty of opportunities for exploration.

Not satisfied with just walking alongside the river, Rosalie had to go in it, feel the cold water run over her boots, poke her stick into the flow and question the absence of fish! We haven’t started getting ‘why?’ questions, but I do get lots of ‘what’s that mama?’ and I love talking to her about everything. And the amazing thing is, she takes so much on board! It’s incredible how much she remembers and that seems to only make her curiosity grow stronger.

toddler in river

Whenever we walk anywhere every flower needs to be sniffed, each dandelion clock needs its seeds blown off, every insect needs inspecting and every bird is admired. I used to get stressed when we were walking with a purpose, to get somewhere on time, but now I just leave a little earlier (or arrive late), because I have learnt that these simple moments really are some of the best, and will probably be gone in a flash.

It would be lovely to view the world through a child’s eyes though wouldn’t it – fresh and untainted. Seeing things for what they are, but also for more than they are, with endless possibilities for imaginary games. I guess in some way being a parent of a toddler does give you that opportunity, we can choose to take a leaf out of our children’s books, join in and see life with extra sparkle, making the ordinary extraordinary.

toddler in the woods

My beautiful baby girl, so curious, noticing everything, collecting, touching, smelling. Aren’t toddlers great for helping us enjoy the simple things?

You Might Also Like

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies
    May 20, 2016 at 10:59 pm

Aww toddlers are the best for insatiable curiosity – when we went to the woods last week Pip kept trying to walk straight into the brambles in pursuit of a beetle!
    Carie @ Space for the Butterflies recently posted…Hello Kitty {handmade for Kitty}My Profile

Jess
      May 21, 2016 at 7:33 am

That’s brilliant! They can be quite blinkered and determined can’t they! x

Katie @mummydaddyme
    May 22, 2016 at 2:42 pm

What a lovely post and gorgeous photos of Rosalie. I love that stage where they are just so curious about the world around them, it’s quite beautiful to watch. Even if it takes twice as long to get anywhere! 😉 x

Jess
      May 22, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Thanks Katie, it really is, and I don’t mind the extra time it takes now I factor it in!! xx

Laura @ Little Ladies Big World
    May 22, 2016 at 7:51 pm

Oh I love this stage, I must admit my 5 year old is still a little like this and it has totally changed me in the most wonderful way. Ordinary moments certainly make you feel grateful in life don’t they? X
    Laura @ Little Ladies Big World recently posted…Pre-Bedtime Cuddles {The Ordinary Moments #21}My Profile

Jess
      May 22, 2016 at 8:10 pm

They really do Laura, and I’m pleased I might have a few more years of this wonderful curiosity! xx

Life as Mum
    May 22, 2016 at 7:57 pm

I totally agree. Loved reading this post 🙂 I am so excited to have a toddler again !

Jess
      May 22, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Aw, thank you! Yay for toddlers! xx

Hanna
    May 24, 2016 at 11:58 am

I love the toddler age, I love how a walk to the end of the road and back can be the biggest adventure if we just give them the freedom to explore. Their curious little minds are beautiful and seeing the world through their eyes is so refreshing. x

Jess
      May 24, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Thanks for your lovely comment Hanna, I’m loving this curious stage and hope it last a good while longer xx

Helena
    May 24, 2016 at 11:07 pm

Toddlers sure are wonderful in encouraging us to practice mindfulness and living in the moment. #OrdinaryMoments
    Helena recently posted…10 Things to Pack in Your Hospital BagMy Profile

Jess
      May 25, 2016 at 6:54 am

Thanks Helena, they sure are!