Days out

Autumn fun at Basildon Park

autumn at Basildon Park

I just love autumn – the colours, the weather, wearing boots, jumping in leaves, wrapping up warm, drinking hot chocolate and snuggling under a cosy blanket in the evenings. Although today is pretty grey and wet, at the beginning of the week we had some proper autumnal weather – sunshine and bright blue cloudless skies, but with a real nip in the air. The leaves have started turning, and as Daddy had the day off, we took a trip over to Basildon Park (one of our local National Trust haunts) for a spot of autumnal fun.

autumn at Basildon Park

We took Rosalie’s Gruffalo Autumn Nature Trail book along with us to see if she could spot some autumn treasures and add some stickers to her book. She’s pretty observant so managed to stick a fair few Gruffalo paw print stickers down for finding signs of autumn.

The Gruffalo Autumn Nature Trail

Searching for conkers was a lot of fun, and we talked about the difference between horse chestnuts and sweet chestnuts and looked at how the shells and the nuts inside differ.

autumn at Basildon Park

autumn at Basildon Park

The nature trails through the woodland and parkland at Basildon Park are beautiful in autumn, and there is also a lovely spot for children with fallen trees, den building and a ball run which kept Rosalie amused for a good while. She’s become quite bold when it comes to climbing and had no fears scrambling up this tree!

autumn at Basildon Park

Rosalie is quite a free spirit and loves being wild and exploring on her own terms. Days like this are some of my favourites – quality time in the outdoors with my favourite people, and seeing Rosalie as happy as a pig in mud.

autumn at Basildon Park

You Might Also Like

Sherry
    October 9, 2016 at 10:49 am

Autumn is by far my most favourite time of year – although I’ve given up chocolate this month so not hot chocolates for me just yet (!) I absolutely love the sun in these photos, Autumn really does bring the best crisp sun doesn’t it? #TheOrdinaryMoments

Jess
      October 11, 2016 at 8:09 pm

You can look forward to some hot chocolates in November then! It was such a beautiful cloudless sky, thanks for commenting xx

Laura - dear bear and beany
    October 9, 2016 at 4:32 pm

I am really enjoying Autumn this year, its not normally something that I embrace. But, with the sunny days at the moment it has meant lots of lovely days out and you can’t beat a lovely national park for a visit. Looks like you had lots of fun x
    Laura – dear bear and beany recently posted…A Fresh Look for My Blog…The Ordinary MomentsMy Profile

Jess
      October 11, 2016 at 8:17 pm

We have been so lucky in Berkshire with the autumn weather so far – beautiful crisp, sunny days and a trip to a National Trust property are the best! x

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies
    October 9, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Oh now that’s the way to embrace the change in seasons – in glorious sunshine! I can’t believe how big Rosalie is getting; she was just a teeny tiny baby when I first started reading your blog and now she’s climbing trees!!

Jess
      October 11, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Isn’t it just! We’ve had amazing autumn weather so far this season and it’s been brilliant. Don’t say it Carie, I can’t believe she’s nearly three!

Katie @mummydaddyme
    October 9, 2016 at 8:24 pm

I love those autumn days as well, they are just lovely aren’t they? I don’t want it to get colder! These are beautiful photos and Rosalie is looking so grown up running around and climbing! xx

Jess
      October 11, 2016 at 8:24 pm

They really are Katie. She’s quite the little explorer now, I can’t believe she’ll be three in just a few months! xx

Laura @ Little Ladies Big World
    October 11, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Gorgeous pictures, I am an autumn fan too when it is bright (not so much a fan of the rain or the cold though!) x
    Laura @ Little Ladies Big World recently posted…A Yearly Trip To The Fayre {The Ordinary Moments #35}My Profile

Jess
      October 11, 2016 at 8:37 pm

Thank you Laura! Autumn is definitely better when the days are bright and crisp rather than wet and grey! x